Military Artificial Intelligence (AI) has already brought great risks and challenges to the world, and we should be vigilant against the lowering of the threshold of war due to the development of military AI, and reduce avoidable disasters.
“Defense Artificial Intelligence and Arms Control Network” advocates that the design, research, development, use and deployment of military AI throughout the whole life cycle should comply with the following principles:
1. Military AI should be applied to national defense, and its applications to aggression should be opposed.
2. Defense AI should be with the principle of minimum and necessity.
3. Minimize unnecessary harm.
4. Forbid the use of lethal autonomous weapons (LAWS).
5. Ensure meaningful human control, and avoid cognitive overload during Human-AI interactions.
6. Ensure the safety and security of military AI.
7. Ensure AI system decisions are transparent and explainable to humans.
8. Ensure that the assistance from military AI is trustworthy and reliable.
9. Military AI systems should take measures to mitigate/avoid potential biases in data, AI algorithms and from human, avoid targeting specific groups of people, and ensure justice.
10. Advocate the use of AI in military operations for “humanitarian relief”, without harming other lives.
11. Strict technical and ethical assessments of military AI systems should be conducted in accordance with the principle of responsibility, and effective regulations and responsibility tracing mechanisms should be established.
12. Prevent the proliferation of AI weapons.
13. Military AI systems should be in full compliance with international and humanitarian law.
14. AI-enabled military systems and domains (e.g., chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, etc.) should still fully comply with the norms of their respective fields.
15. Relevant personnel using military AI systems should ensure adequate training, correctly grasp how to use the systems, and accurately understand the consequences of using the systems. Public awareness on the use of military AI systems and their risks should be continuously improved.
The above principles will be continuously updated with the consensus of the experts of “Defense AI and Arms Control Network“. For joining our expert group, comments and suggestions, please email us at: email@example.com